General Information Contact Information & Directions Mission and Accreditation Privacy Policy Records Request F.A.Q. Student Expectations News
English as a Second Language (ESL) ESL Class Information Family Literacy at Ruby Bridges
HS Diploma and Equivalency Test Prep General Information High School Diploma Requirements High School Diploma and Equivalency Test Prep Class Information
GED and HISET Testing
Class Websites Student Interviews Student Links Teacher Links Transition to College
Principal - Joy Chua Office Staff


Please read through our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) to see if any of your questions can be answered!


How do I earn High School diploma credit?

Credit is earned through accruing productive hours. Classes meet twice a week totaling 5 hours a week. This is explained further in the grading policy when students register. In general, 1 credit is earned for every 12 hours of class participation; therefore 5 credits are earned every 12 weeks or 24 classes worth of class participation. Attendance is not a guarantee of credit. Students must meet Alameda Adult School grading policy requirements to pass their classes in addition to attending the class for the required amount of time.


Can I earn credits through independent study or distance learning?

Although we don’t have an independent study program for all classes, we offer self-paced, computer-based instruction for both science and math.  Attendance is still required but students are permitted to accelerate their learning by logging into the program between classes.  In this way, students are able to earn additional credits.  An independent study College and Career Readiness class is also available through our counselor.


When will I get dropped and what happens if I get dropped?

Students who are absent for four classes in a row with no communication with their teacher, office manager or counselor will be dropped. They will have to re-register to return to class.


What do I do if I’m going to be absent?

Call the office at (510)522-3858 (9-5 pm) or (510) 748-4024 x124 (3-9pm) or email your teacher. Provide your full name and the class you will be missing.


How long will it take for me to get my High School Diploma?

This depends on how many credits you need to earn and the time you are able to devote to classes.  You will choose a diploma plan with the counselor that involves completing 180 credits (Plan 1) OR completing 40 credits and passing a High School Equivalency exam: the GED or HiSET (Plan 2). You will need to come to one of our registration days and meet with our counselor, who will help you develop a plan.


When will I be ready to take the GED or HiSET exam?

This varies by person depending on when you feel ready to take the test. Online practice tests are available for both the GED ( and the HiSET ( These tests can help you determine if you are ready to take the exam.


How soon after taking the tests will I get my GED or HiSET scores?

Because the GED exam is now computer-based, you will be able to get GED test results the same day (within 3 hours of completion). The HiSET exam is offered in both formats: computer-based and paper-based.  Alameda Adult School administers the HiSET three times a year in paper-based format only.  Generally these scores are available through the HiSET website ten days after testing.


Is there a limit to how many times I can take the GED or HiSET?

You can take each subject up to 3 times in a calendar year.


Where do I park?

Only street parking available at 401 Pacific Avenue (Chipman Buidling). Our Adult School administrative offices are housed in this location as are some of our ESL classes. Please do not park in staff parking.

Off-street parking is available at 500 Pacific Avenue (Island High) where the high school diploma and GED/HiSET preparation classes are taught.  The parking lot can be accessed from Lincoln Avenue.  Street parking is also available on Lincoln and Pacific Avenues.


Do you provide childcare?

We do not provide childcare at the Adult School.

Boys and Girls Club has school-aged childcare available for a fee but scholarships are available; please contact the Boys and Girls Club at 510-522-4900 for more information.




Still need more clarification?
Email the counselor for GED/HS Diploma related questions at

Email the office for any registration dates, fees, testing sign ups or to make an appointment with the counselor at or